A terrible Ice Giant has turned Mina’s kingdom and all the people in the castle to ice. She leaves the Far North Lands to find help. Mina arrives at the castle and asks Drake and his friends for help. Only a fire dragon can defeat the Ice Giant, but Rori and Vulcan are no longer at the castle. Will the Dragon Masters be able to find Rori and help defeat the Ice Giant?
The ninth book in the Dragon Masters series has the same black and white illustrations that help the readers visualize the characters and the action of the story. Easy vocabulary and simple sentence structure will allow beginning readers to enjoy the story. For those who have not read the previous books, Chill of the Ice Dragon may be confusing because of the many characters in the story. The end of the story is exciting and action-packed, but the beginning is choppy and doesn’t transition to different scenes smoothly.
- Dragons fight. “Neru began to glow with energy. But before the purple dragon could attack, green beams of light shot from Worm’s eyes! They’d zapped Neru, sending him jolting backward.”
- A character uses a magic crystal to control a dragon.
- Over several chapters, the dragon masters and their dragons fight Vasty, who has frozen the kingdom. “Green energy beams shot from Worm’s eyes, aimed at the crystal. But Frost was fast. He shot his icy breath at Worm.”
- Vasty is defeated when Frost “shot his icy breath at the staff, knocking it out of Vasty’s hands. Hulda blasted magic from her fingertips. The giant staggered backward.” Eventually Vasty is shrunken and Frost creates “a swirling tunnel of ice” that sucks up the tiny giant.
Drugs and Alcohol
- A character uses a “gazing ball” to show Mina the other dragon masters.
- Each dragon has special powers. For example, when people touch Worm, he transports them to different places. Another dragon sprays poisonous mist.