Buy This Book Buy This Series
Other books by Kiera Cass
Other books you may enjoy
“Love is beautiful fear.” —The Elite
The Selection #2
by Kiera Cass
AR Test, Good for Reluctant Readers
America isn’t sure if she wants to win Prince Maxom’s heart. The other six selections’ girls don’t share that uncertainty. They all want Maxon to choose them to be the next princess of Illea and are ready to fight America for Maxom and the crown.
When America is with Maxom, he sweeps her off her feet, and the choice seems obvious. Then her heart becomes confused whenever she sees her childhood sweetheart, Aspen. With Aspen back in her life, and both Aspen and Maxom competing for her heart, America’s indecision grows.
America is a strong character in The Selection, but she loses much of what makes her likable in the second installment of this series. In book one she is strong and funny, but in this book she degenerates into an indecisive and, quite frankly, whiny brat. The story is dragged on because America can’t decide if she wants to marry the Prince or Aspen.
The book loses the romance and suspense of the first book. Though there are exciting and fun scenes, they are sparse. If you enjoyed The Selection, you may find yourself reading The Elite out of obligation, rather than enjoyment.
- America kisses both Malcom and Aspen at different times throughout the book.
- After one of the contestants gets married, she talks about the first time her and her husband shared a bed. It was, “a little uncomfortable at first. The second time was better.”
- One of the contestants is seen lavishing affection on Maxom and kissing his neck.
- After being found together, a contestant and a guard are caned for treason. During the caning, the guard’s back is described. “His skin was already torn, pieces hanging sickeningly. Blood was trickling down, ruining what used to be his dress pants.”
- Two of the elite get into a fight. They use their nails and fists causing mild injury to each other.
- The rebels attack the palace several times. In one scene a guard is hit by a bullet and blood pours from his chest.
Drugs and Alcohol
- At a banquet hosing the Italian monarchy, wine is served. When a member of the monarchy wants America to talk about Maxom, she offers America wine in order to get her to talk.
- The words hell and damn are used in the heat of emotion.